Digital Diary App, Safe And Affordable Places To Live In Arizona, Sharekhan Vs Zerodha Which Is Best, El Pato Jalapeno Sauce Near Me, Mesopotamia Project Pdf, Ebern Designs Sofa Bed, Jailhouse Tuna Spread, Peanut Butter And Honey Uncrustables Bulk, Owner Financing Homes In Austin Texas, Stairway To Olympos How To Get Out, Blank Skateboards For 5, Low Caffeine Coffee Brands, You Don't Deserve Me Meaning In Urdu, Healthy Macaroni Salad, Why Is There Bubbles In My Wax, Oatmeal And Green Tea For Weight Loss, Vdc Sdi Cable, Colossians 3:12 Meaning, English File Intermediate Test, Simply Lite Corningware Costco, Gourmet Peanut Butter And Jelly, Zojirushi Rice Cooker Uk, Saturday Kitchen Presenter Today, ">

compound indirect object examples

compound indirect object examples

Hello! Move on to Chapter 7, Home          BLOG          SHOP           Contact           PRIVACY POLICY           Your Purchases. Save. Let's start by looking at a sentence that doesn't have an indirect object. Copyright © 2009 - 2020 Grammar Revolution. us. Use the example diagrams above for help. 2. Directions: Diagram the following sentences. The word me is the object of the preposition to. The tornado violently hit the house and threw the trees across the field. What are the disadvantages of primary group? Yikes! Generally speaking, however, compound subjects will be treated as plural and take a plural verb: Here comes the fun. Not everyone deems it necessary. Feel free to use them in your writing, when necessary, and see how you feel about the Oxford Comma. In rare cases, a compound subject can sometimes be treated as singular. Examples: She gave Ed and me the list of summer activities. Separate the verb and the direct object with a vertical line that doesn't go below the horizontal line. How long will the footprints on the moon last? A plural subject looks like this: Mary and Mark like watermelon. Hello! Why don't libraries smell like bookstores? Whenever there's a list of three or more items, we're separating the last item in the list with a comma before the "and" or "or." and feel free to disagree with us. I smelled the delicious homemade pie and cookies. What are the release dates for The Wonder Pets - 2006 Save the Ladybug? answer choices . For example, "My son and heir will rule this kingdom." Here's a look: Compound subjects introduce an array of new components to sentences. I smelled the delicious homemade pie and cookies. 3. 2. Simply put, the subject and verb must agree in number. 1. Use the example diagram above for help. I told my students that diagramming would help them see how words fit together and would help them to become better writers. Take a look at Oxford Comma: Do You Need to Use It? Caroline and Mike gave Emilie a birthday card. The baby kicked Elmo and me the ball. Sometimes, compound subjects are joined by an "either/or" or "neither/nor" type of scenario. The direct object is the thing being acted on by the verb. Use the example diagrams above for help. When you're done with this book, you'll possess a powerful tool for using and understanding language. When a sentence has two or more subjects, it's called a compound subject. Edit. Yikes! What is the birthday of carmelita divinagracia? English. Can you treat poison ivy with econazole nitrate cream? The sick English teacher blew her nose. Finished Chapter 6? How will understanding of attitudes and predisposition enhance teaching? Edit. They allow for further specificity and detail. 0. In all our examples, we're using the Oxford comma, sometimes called the serial comma. (Indirect object – Peter; direct object – story) Note that the object pronouns me, him, us, them etc., are not always indirect objects. Whenever more than one subject is involved, it's important to maintain accurate subject-verb agreement. A boy on your basketball team just dunked the ball. 4. Click here to see how I can help you. All Rights Reserved, Smiling girl holding little American flag as compound subject examples, 15 Sentences Using Compound Subjects and Compound Verbs. Notice how the verb changes to align with the subject. cousins. ... What is the indirect object of the highlighted direct object: Our cousins showed us the swimming hole on their ranch. 1. Ready to learn about more types of verbs. Lesson 7 Grammar: Direct, Compound, and Indirect Objects DRAFT. In the compound subject examples below, you'll find many different ways to vary these sentence constructs. A compound indirect object functions exactly the same as a single indirect object:Marcy sold Joe and his little brother three pizzas for her fundraiser.Marcy is the subject. The indirect object is usually a person or thing. ranch. Read on to enjoy a quick review of each component followed by specific examples using compound subjects and verbs. Arrg, the bookstore sent me the wrong book! This sentence still has a transitive active verb (kicked) and a direct object (ball), but there is no prepositional phrase. Before I show you how they are diagrammed, look at this sentence: This sentence has transitive active verb (kicked), a direct object (ball), and a prepositional phrase (to me). 2. You'll learn grammar and diagramming with these short, simple lessons and exercises, and you'll find all of the answers in the back so that you can easily check your work. Easy Examples of Indirect Objects In all the examples on this page, the indirect objects are shaded, and the direct objects are in bold. 4. In this sentence, "son" and "heir" refer to the same person. The indirect object of a sentence is the recipient of the direct object. You'll be able to write with clarity, and you'll actually enjoy grammar. (Ed and me are indirect objects of the verb gave. 5. Directions: Diagram the following sentences. 3. A compound indirect object functions exactly the same as a single indirect object:Marcy sold Joe and his little brother three pizzas for her fundraiser.Marcy is the subject. A singular subject looks like this: Mary likes watermelon. Typical sentence constructs follow a subject + verb + direct object formula. My friend and I walked into the woods and picked Sara flowers. In the meantime, scan through these 15 Sentences Using Compound Subjects and Compound Verbs. Her lessons are guaranteed to give you more confidence in your communication skills and make you smile. 2 years ago. INDIRECT OBJECTS Like a direct object, an indirect object can be compound. All Rights Reserved. You'll learn about two of the four types of verbs with these sentence diagramming exercises. (Indirect object – me; direct object – necklace) John told Peter a story. I'm Elizabeth, and my goal is to get you jazzed about grammar. How long does a fresh turkey last in the refrigerator? :), Finished Chapter 6? Typical sentence constructs follow a subject + verb + direct object formula. Let's take a look: Let's have fun with more sentence examples involving compound subjects. Compound Subject Examples The subject of a sentence is a person, place, thing or idea that is doing or being something. My mother bought me a necklace. Ready to learn about more types of verbs? Study the examples given below. What is the popular or general journal called in English?

Digital Diary App, Safe And Affordable Places To Live In Arizona, Sharekhan Vs Zerodha Which Is Best, El Pato Jalapeno Sauce Near Me, Mesopotamia Project Pdf, Ebern Designs Sofa Bed, Jailhouse Tuna Spread, Peanut Butter And Honey Uncrustables Bulk, Owner Financing Homes In Austin Texas, Stairway To Olympos How To Get Out, Blank Skateboards For 5, Low Caffeine Coffee Brands, You Don't Deserve Me Meaning In Urdu, Healthy Macaroni Salad, Why Is There Bubbles In My Wax, Oatmeal And Green Tea For Weight Loss, Vdc Sdi Cable, Colossians 3:12 Meaning, English File Intermediate Test, Simply Lite Corningware Costco, Gourmet Peanut Butter And Jelly, Zojirushi Rice Cooker Uk, Saturday Kitchen Presenter Today,

div#stuning-header .dfd-stuning-header-bg-container {background-image: url(https://www.simontibor.com/wp-content/uploads/revslider/minimal-portfolio1/aerial_bg2.jpg);background-size: initial;background-position: top center;background-attachment: fixed;background-repeat: initial;}#stuning-header div.page-title-inner {min-height: 650px;}div#stuning-header .dfd-stuning-header-bg-container.dfd_stun_header_vertical_parallax {-webkit-transform: -webkit-translate3d(0,0,0) !important;-moz-transform: -moz-translate3d(0,0,0) !important;-ms-transform: -ms-translate3d(0,0,0) !important;-o-transform: -o-translate3d(0,0,0) !important;transform: translate3d(0,0,0) !important;}